Perinatal health ensures mothers and birthing parents are healthy and their children have the best start possible. Research shows that healthy moms are more likely to raise healthy babies. Access to prenatal and postpartum health care is vital to ensuring we are giving our youngest children opportunities to succeed. Unfortunately, the United States has the highest maternal mortality rate among developed countries, and racial disparities plague the health care system for Black and Brown women. Thriving PA is working to ensure all women and birthing parents have access to the health resources they need to give birth to and raise their children.
Support building a comprehensive and coordinated system of care and support for Pennsylvania moms and birthing people by:
- Establishing a perinatal psychiatric access pilot program.
- Ensuring every birthing person has access to coverage during pregnancy by advocating for CHIP coverage for pregnant immigrants and their babies.
- Collaborating with DHS to expand and ensure the sustainability of the Managed Care Home Visiting initiative.
- Monitoring progress toward Medicaid reimbursement for Doula services.
- Supporting campaigns advocating for universal paid leave in PA and a state Earned Income Tax Credit.